Whiplash is a syndrome of symptoms that develops after someone experiences acute trauma, such as a car accident, fall, or sports injury. At Starwood Chiropractic located in Frisco, TX, we help patients of all ages find relief from neck pain and other whiplash symptoms through natural techniques that enhance the body's innate healing ability.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash happens when a body in motion suddenly stops or changes direction, causing a whip-like movement of the head and neck. This forceful flexion and extension of the neck can lead to damage and inflammation in the tissues within the cervical area, including muscles, joints, nerves, joints, discs, and bones.
Do I Have Whiplash?
If you experience any of the following signs and symptoms after acute trauma, you might have whiplash:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Muscle tension or spasms in the neck, shoulders, and upper back
- Pain, stiffness, numbness, and/or tingling in the shoulder, arm, or hand
- Clicking or pain in the jaw, or the sensation that the jaw is getting stuck
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty sleeping
- Brain fog and irritability
It's not unusual for a person to walk away from an acute trauma feeling perfectly "fine," only to experience signs and symptoms of whiplash hours or days later. This delay in symptoms can happen if stress hormones that surge during trauma block pain until they return to their normal levels in the body.
Treating Whiplash With Chiropractic Care
Our Frisco chiropractor team encourages people to consult with a chiropractor as soon as possible following any sort of trauma. Spinal adjustments, muscle testing, postural assessments, and other techniques can help us detect hidden signs of underlying tissue damage or inflammation, allowing us to implement healing interventions as soon as possible—helping you minimize or avoid pain and dysfunction.
If you already have whiplash symptoms, our staff can still help you by offering services and techniques such as:
- Chiropractic adjustments can prevent the nervous system from misfiring pain signals while also restoring the alignment and function of cervical joints
- Corrective exercises and stretches designed to promote tissue healing, pain relief, and core strength
- Lifestyle and nutritional guidance to help you alleviate stress, improve sleep, and optimize the body's natural healing process during the acute healing phase
- Modalities like electrical stimulation, moist heat, and mechanical traction to enhance the benefits of chiropractic care
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Frisco
If you have whiplash symptoms or were recently in an accident, call (972) 377-3909 to schedule your appointment at Starwood Chiropractic in Frisco. We work WITH your body to help you heal yourself.